Monday, May 30, 2011

First six chapters are a go

Well, I've got the first six chapters of Dragon's Egg fully planned.  Since that basically constitutes the first act I think I'm good to start actually writing this.  This will partially be a plan to see whether this actually helps me get the actual chapters written faster.  If it does, or at least helps make my writing sessions longer, then I know I'm on the right track.  If it doesn't do anything for me, then I need to reconsider how I plan.

Eventually I plan to completely plan books before writing them, but for now I think I'm going to go partway with this, and have daily planning sessions, and then get actual writing done.  This book needs to be done five months ago, and this way I actually have something to show while I plan the rest of the book.  I probably won't get that much writing done tomorrow, what with it being Memorial Day and all that, but I wouldn't be surprised if I manage to get the first six chapters written within the next two days. 

It's definitely all coming together, and since I have a rough idea of what's going to happen in the future I can add necessary foreshadowing to my detailed plan.  I don't know if the actual writing process is going to be improved, but I feel much better about what I'm managing to get done.  I especially need to get this project done so that I can spend more time focusing on plotting a webcomic I'm writing the script for.  It's a project I'm pretty excited about, and think I'll have a lot of fun with.  It would also help increase my portfolio, since I have not yet produced anything I would feel comfortable showing anyone.  I've been working on stories, but they never seem to come together properly.  So if I can get this planning method to pay off then I'll definitely be able to start producing more. 

I should know by tomorrow if I am in fact on the right track.  Either way, I need to be spending basically all day writing something or another.  If I can make the majority of my day productive like that then I'll be in business.

No comments:

Post a Comment