Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Planning stage one completed

Well, I've finished the first stage of planning for my rewrite, I added a few more chapters onto the book, and with hopefully longer chapters overall the entire thing will be closer to the required 50,000 words, at least.  Now I move on to stage two of my newly developed planning method.  In which I take my brief chapter summaries, and expand them to include all the information needed for writing each specific chapter in its own section.  Basically the idea is that I can get a lot more writing done in one go if I know exactly what is going to happen when I sit down to write it.  I will admit, I wrote well over ten thousand words for a fanfiction that way, which was basically a rewrite fo the series, with most everything staying the same.  So I didn't have to think about what happened, because it was already done, I just had to sit down and type it up.  My theory is that if I do that with my own writing, only I provide the premade story, I will be able to finish up a decent length book within a week or two at most.  Kind of like how some writers spend months planning and then write the book in a week.  That's the kind of writer I think I am. 

There's still a lot to go over, to make sure that everything fits together, and I still need to find some time to learn how to create a bible for an entire series.  But since this book is currently meant to stand on its own, though it has series potential, I don't necessarily need a bible.  But when planning an entire series, it's crucial that I have the entire series planned out before plotting individual books.  From what I've been able to gather during my research the best way to do this is to take individual characters, and plot out storylines for them.  Those storylines are then then woven together into the main plot line.  Basically this is the way to make sure every characters is a worthy read throughout a long series.  I have not yet started work on a long series, but I think that I will eventually, I've been itching to try my hand at epic fantasy again.  I'll have at least one epic fantasy novel in my lifetime, the one I've been wanting to write since high school. 

But before that I of course need to finish this book, it's pointless trying to plan an epic long series if I haven't finished this book yet.  After I get this done I'm going to try my hand at a shorter YA series.  It will definitely be one that requires the use of a bible, at the very least so I can keep track of character storylines and such.  But my main goal is to have each book stand more or less on its own, and connect the entire series through character story arcs.  Which really is the best way to write a good series.  To do that I'll need to keep a detailed bible, which will definitely include if not an overall plot summary, then at least overall character arc summaries, which can then evolve into bigger books.

But it's getting late, and even if I have nowhere to go, and not much to do besides keep looking for a job, I should get to bed soon.  That way I can get up early and actually get some stuff done.  Namely, writing stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment