Friday, May 20, 2011

The hardest part is getting started

"Well duh," say my readers.  But it's true, even something as simple as starting some more planning is very difficult to do.  I know that I myself, and I'm sure a lot of people do this, underestimate exactly how much work even the simple parts of writing are.  For every writing session where everything flows nicely, there's always that period of time where you have to struggle to even get ideas.  I know that it gets easier with time and practice, but for someone as afraid of effort as myself this is a crucial period.  I have the desire to be a writer, but do I have the conviction? 

Mostly, but not entirely.  I think conviction is something that can be developed, but like everything else in life it takes a lot of effort.  Even when I think back on things that were once hard, but are now easy, I have a hard time making the connection between those things that are now easy and the things that are hard now.  I know that I've gotten better at things that were once hard, but for some reason I have a hard time convincing myself that something that is difficult now will be easy in the future.

Even when it's something that has happened recently.  I think back to when I first started blogging, when I hardly had any posts, and I look at my blog now.  I still don't have that many posts, but I've gotten enough that I realize all I need to do is take it one day at a time, one review at a time, and eventually I'll have a large blog.  I look at the reviews I wrote about a year ago, and compare them to the ones I write now.  Sure with a lot of them I was cracking more jokes, but looking at the ones that I write now I can't help but notice how my style has been refined as I wrote more and more.  Anything can be learned over time, as long as we put the effort into it now.

The problem is that some things are easier to learn because the rewards come much faster.  For example, it isn't hard to see the rewards for blogging, as long as you consider the rewards to be having a blog with posts in it.  Every time you write a post, that's one more post to your blog, and you can see your archive growing.  With something like writing a book the end result is a long way off.  Having a finished manuscript, which is a great feeling, or holding your published work, which I can only imagine must feel incredible (am I the only one that has held a book and pretended it was something I wrote?  Anyone?).  The final product is incredibly rewarding, but what is one to do when the effort needed is overwhelming?

Well, if you're me then you start writing a new blog post to get in the mood to write.  Or if you're stuck on your story.  Or to wind down after having a particularly productive session.  Either way, writing, any kind of writing, is a great way to get in gear.  The trick is, moving from writing something like a blog post, to actually working on your book. 

So, to try my hand at blogging to get into the writing mood, I'm going to start by writing a blog post for this blog before getting to work on my book.  Probably nothing more than saying, "I had a good rest last night, the day is beginning beautifully, now that I've had breakfast I'm going to start writing."  Maybe I'll ramble about what I plan to do during the day, writing related or not.  Whichever it is, it will be something to get my brain working.  I don't expect anyone to read those, not like there are that many people that read these posts right now anyway.  I have a decent readership for my media review blog, but that hasn't translated to here.  Not that it really matters, I don't expect to see too many people meandering over here until I've made my debut.  The most important part is that this blog makes me feel just a little more like a writer, and when it comes to me mental state is the biggest part.  If I can convince myself that I'm actually a writer, then I'm more likely to act like one. 

But like I said, I'll definitely try to have something to say every morning.  Maybe I'll even do something out of character, like discussing recent news, but don't hold your breath.

Also, while planning is incredibly productive, I think I'm going to try and spend at least a little bit of time making a start on the actual book.  I'll keep ahead in my planning, and I'll keep an even pace with what I'm actually writing.  This is to make sure I get the book done a bit faster.  I am however a little worried that dividing my attention like this will be bad news for my actual planning.  I might have to start scheduling what I do when.  Give an hour or two for planning, and another hour for writing the actual book.

As long as I start out early in the morning.  If I can get a bunch written in the morning then the rest of the day feels that much more productive.  And while I may not have been getting as much done as I should, I've been successful in getting at least something done every day.  Even when it is only a token effort, which I really need to eradicate.  If I'm going to consider it actually getting work done, then I should actually get a lot done. 

That being said, I'm far too easily distracted, and can only admit to a token amount of work getting done today.  But I'm getting into the mood, even if I'm dead tired right now.  So all I need to do is go to bed now, and get up in the morning when I can start the day out right and get a bunch of writing done.  Here's hoping at least.  I need to break out of my lazy habits. 

Oh yeah, I get paid tomorrow, so then I should know exactly how badly I need another job.  Here's hoping I actually get a decent pay check.  I would say that way I can justify spending all day writing, but right now I don't think that needs much justifying.  If I spent all day writing that would be a vast improvement from spending all day doing diddly squat.  Oh internet, I love you so, but at the same time I sometimes wish you'd die, you dirty, rotten time waster.

...That was uncalled for, I'm really sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment