Thursday, May 19, 2011

Planning - It is better than discovery writing. There, I said it.

I am absolutely loving this new method of planning.  Already I've restructured my story to the point where it's actually good.  Maybe my brain works a little differently from other writers, but not having to focus on whether my writing is good, or even just putting down serviceable prose, has really made it much easier to get the creative juices flowing.  I guess this is an extreme version of what Brandon said about turning off your internal editor and just writing.  I've turned off both my internal editor, and my internal prose writer.  And it's working miracles. 

I know I'll have to actually write the prose eventually, and maybe I'm adding more stages to this than there need to be, but it's working and that's all that matters to me.  Like I said, I can write an amazing amount of words in a day if I don't have to think too hard about what I'm writing.  So I definitely suspect I'm going to be one of those writers that spends months planning a book, and then writes it in a few short weeks. 

It's definitely a lot easier to fix story errors before actually writing the prose.  While in the planning stage I can look at what works and what doesn't work, and since I have no prose to be attached to, I can easily make the necessary changes in a minimal number of words, and then move on to fixing the next problem.

Writing like this is, however, much more slow paced, which is both a good thing and a bad thing.  On the one hand it's aggravating the side of me that wants to get to the end of the project as quickly as possible.  On the other hand that side of is a whiny little canine of the female persuasion and needs as many beatings as I have the strength to deliver.  Trying to rush through this book in the first place is what made the end fall to pieces.  It wasn't pretty.

The funny thing is, that inspiration keeps hitting, even when I'm working off the shorter plan I made.  So even though I had one course of events in mind, I end up retooling it completely for the detailed plan.  I'll say it again, this is working great for me.

But since it's late I'm going to get some rest now, and continue work on this tomorrow.  It went so well this evening that I think I can spend a lot more time getting writing done tomorrow.  Not like I don't have time for it.  I also have some blogging that needs doing, so after I spend the morning writing I think I'll get that done, adn then see if i can get any of my other planned reviews out of the way.  Feels nice to feel productive, now if only I could find a job, then I'd feel really productive. 

PS: Creative juices taste like apple juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment