Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Worldcon: Day 4 - Saturday

I don't remember much about today, besides going to more panels, and doing our best to talk to people.  By this point we all knew we were conned out, and ready to be done.  We kept going out and meeting people though, since that's what we came for.  But due to a combination of mental fatigue and being way too absorbed by the latest Dresden Files I can't remember much of what happened.

Oh yeah, we tried to sign up for the Patrick Rothfuss Kaffeklatsch, but that filled up way too fast.  And for those interested, Kaffeeklatsch is german for Coffee Get-Together.  Basically the german version of tea time.  Klatsch is slang for chat, so you get together, drink coffee, and talk.

The hugos were a lot of fun to go to.  It was the first time I've been to an awards service like this.  Unfortunately Utah got pwned, and pwned hard.  I think only one thing I voted for got the Hugo, Girl Genius, but considering they've won for their category every year, that wasn't much of a stretch.

After the awards came the parties, and those were pretty fun.  Our nifty SFWA guest stickers got us in the doors there, where we had some good conversations.  Dan Willis was kind enough to take some time and give us aspiring authors some advice on breaking in to the field.  Though mostly it was, "This is what I did, it won't work again, so try something else."

I think we've made some progress getting to know the Utah authors at least.  As long as I feel a part of the community, then I can feel like I need to work harder to deserve to be among them.

No comments:

Post a Comment