Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Worldcon: Day 1 - Wednesday

For just being the first day of Worldcon, we were surprisingly productive.  The panels were interesting, but nothing particularly worth writing home about.

While on our way down to registration, we passed an older gentleman, who looked very familiar.  Then I noticed that his badge read: George R. R. Martin.  It was at this point that I realized this was going to be a good convention.  This realization was confirmed when we saw Patrick Rothfuss in line ahead of us at registration.  After getting registered we stopped him and talked for a bit, I got my copy of Name of the Wind signed by him.  He's a really friendly, sociable guy, and with how well he writes I highly doubt he's going to be disappearing anywhere after finishing his current series.

Though what I consider the most important spot is that I spotted Moshe Feder, Brandon Sanderson's Editor, as we were leaving the ceremonial opening to the con.  He was talking to someone, so we followed after him for a bit, till he left, and then walked up to him and talked for a good forty five minutes to an hour.  He's a very sociable kind of guy, and when he found out that we are Brandon's students he was even more open.

We made an important contact today, and with this we should be able to get to know some more editors at Tor.  With any luck at least one of us will come away from this day with an editor asking for a sample submission.  If it happens to me then I'm going to have to finish what I'm writing likety-split.

Anyway, I'm pretty tired now, so I'm going to do some writing, relax for a bit, and then go to bed.  Tomorrow we're hoping to track Brandon down and see if we can get him to go to dinner with us.  Moshe already agreed that he'd like to go to lunch with us and Brandon, so that would be great.  We're also going to see if Larry Correia isn't filled up for his Kaffeeklatsch tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment